Located 33 miles west-northwest of Washington D.C., Leesburg is a historic town in Loudoun County, Virginia. Leesburg is no longer a small, rural town and is now known as a suburban bedroom community for commuters to Washington D.C. as well as local business owners.
At least 63 historic markers are located in and near Leesburg, and contains locations which account for 21 entries on the National Register of Historic Places, including:
- Dodona Manor, the early 19th century home of George C. Marshall, a general and diplomat who received the Nobel Peace Prize.
- Morven Park, the estate of Virginia Governor Westmoreland Davis.
- Oatlands Plantation, a National Historic Landmark.
- White’s Ferry, the only ferry across the Potomac River, has its Virginia terminus just outside the town. It is a cable-guided car and passenger ferry. A ferry has plied the river from this site since 1828.
- Exeter Plantation.
Census estimates as of July 1, 2013, showed the population of Leesburg at 47,673 people. Leesburg currently has three public high schools operated by the Loudoun County Public School system; Loudoun County High School, Heritage High School, and Tuscarora High School. Leesburg is serviced by the Volunteer Fire Company, Volunteer Rescue Squad, both of which have partial staffing from the Loudoun County Department of Fire, Rescue and Emergency Management. Leesburg is also served by a town police department.
- Ida Lee Park – Ida Lee Park was created in 1986 when a farm owned by the Rust family was donated to the Town of Leesburg. Containing 141 acres, the Rusts requested that the park be named in memory of Ida Lee to preserve the historic link between the Lee family of Virginia and the Town of Leesburg. Ida Lee Rust was the daughter of Edmund Jennings Lee, first cousin of Robert E. Lee. .
- Washington & Old Dominion Railroad Trail – Hikers, bikers and joggers can travel in and through Leesburg on the trail, a 45-mile long rail trail constructed on the historic W&OD RR’s right-of-way.
- Red Rocks Wilderness Overlook Regional Park – Located in eastern Leesburg along the banks of the Potomac River, the park contains 67 acres of woodlands and over 2 miles of trails leading to bluffs along the river.
- The Rust Manor House and Nature Sanctuary – Located at the foot of Catoctin Mountain, the sanctuary contains a mansion and a nature reserve.
- Leesburg’s Flower and Garden Festival – Held annually in April in the Historic District, the event includes garden displays, vendors and entertainment.
- Fourth of July Celebration – Events include a morning parade, a festival at Ida Lee Park and evening fireworks.
- Leesburg’s Annual Classic Car Show held annually during the summer. This event features dozens of classic cars and hot rods on display in the streets of downtown Leesburg as well as music and food.
- August Court and Market Days – Held in August in the Historic District, the focus of this event is to recognize Leesburg’s cultural heritage.
- First Fridays – Art, music and food held on the First Friday of the month in historic downtown.
- Halloween Parade – Said to be the longest-running Halloween parade east of the Mississippi River, the parade includes marching bands from the local high schools, floats made by local businesses, Scout troops and families, etc.
Information Credit: Wiki Travel
Are you – or someone you know – buying or selling a home? I would love the opportunity to help. If you live outside of my locally serviced area, I have a trusted network of amazing agents I can refer you to. Are you relocating – internationally, corporately or because of a military PCS? I would be honored to step alongside your family and assist during your move. Email: naomi@8thandHome.com Phone: 571.482.7356 FB: facebook.com/8thandHome
$638,900 : 19119 CHARTIER DR, Leesburg5 beds, 3 full, 1 half baths
$270,000 : 504 SUNSET VIEW TER SE, Unit 306, Leesburg2 beds, 2 full baths
$529,000 : 1754 MOULTRIE TER NE, Leesburg4 beds, 3 full, 1 half baths
$349,950 : 601 COBBLER TER SE, Leesburg3 beds, 2 full, 2 half baths
$369,700 : 572 EDMONTON TER NE, Leesburg2 beds, 2 full, 1 half baths
$485,000 : 548 GLADE FERN TER SE, Leesburg4 beds, 3 full, 1 half baths
See all Real estate in the city of Leesburg.
(all data current as of 4/26/2017)
Listing information deemed reliable but not guaranteed. Read full disclaimer.